To cook delicious bhuna khichuri you should have accurate ingredients and know how to cook. Without step by step cooking and supporting items, you will have a bitter experience and low tested bhuna khuchuri. The Bengali word “Bhuna Khichuri” means Browning, mixing or deep frying spices with rice and dal.
Here is bhuna khichuri ingredients and procedure for 2-3 persons.
Bhuna Khichuri making items:
1 cup Basmati rice, half-cup mug dal, Cauliflower or any other vegetable half-cup or 3 small carrots, Potato slices half-cup, Green chily 2/3, Red Chily 2/3, Green Peas, Tomato, very little turmeric powder, 1 medium onion, 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon , stick, crumbled, 2 cloves, 4 black peppercorns, 1/4 table spoon cumin seeds, 1 table spoon light vegetable oil, 2 table spoon butter, 1 table spoon salt.
Bhuna Khichuri cooking Procedure :
- Roast mug dall in a fry Pan or karai, stir untill it is fried, remove it and wash to clear dust.
- Wash the bashmati rice in cool water, squeezing gently with your fingers to clean, Put the rice in cool water for 20 minutes, it is very useful for bhuna khichuri.
- Strain soak water into saucepan and heat. keep rice to dry in strainer. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree F.
- While rice become dry, chop onion finely and set aside. Dice carrots and set aside. keep spices according to measure.
- When rice is dry, heat oil, Add potatoes slice and then vegetable, Add little salt and turmeric powder then add spices, Sub-continent people like very much spices with bhuna khichuri.
- When spices become fragrant, add butter and onions slices. Cook until onions become light golden. cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add mug dal and cook for 3-5 minutes, Add bashmati dry rice and cook enough, stirring very gently for at least 5 minutes, be careful to stir to keep rice as it is. Add other items including gee and stirring gently to mix all.
- Add Hot soak water, keep it to boil. reduce your oven volume for low heat and simmer until water on top of rice has gone out.
- Cover tightly and cook for 20 minutes at 350 deg. F.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 10 minutes with cover, rice is not melt.
- Now bhuna khichuri ready to serve.
It is needed one hour to cook the delicious bhuna khichuri. It is important to cook bhuna khichuri that handle the rice gently so that the grains are not broken. It’s also important to use without broken otherwise it will be too spicy; ground spices would overpower the rice.
Bhuna khichuri is nice choice in breakfast as well as lunch. Do not use too much spices in any food like bhuna khichuri that will not good for your health. If you think better tested bhuna khichuri you can use meat instead of vegetable. Be careful to use beef or mutton which is bad for health.
Bhuna Khichuri has different pronunciation in Bangladesh, India, Nepal like khichdi, Khichri, Khichari, Khichadi, Khicri, Khichuri, etc. Bhuna Khichuri is available in all most all restaurants for lunch or dinner. But homemade bhuna khichuri is preferred to Sub-Continent people.