Computer Structure: A Quantitative Method, 6th Edition has been thought to be very important studying through teachers, scholars and practitioners of pc layout for over 20 years. The 6th variation of this vintage textbook from Hennessy and Patterson, winners of the 2017 ACM A.M. Turing Award spotting contributions of lasting and best technical significance to the computing box, is absolutely revised with the recent tendencies in processor and device Structure. The textual content now options examples from the RISC V (RISC 5) guide set Structure, a up to date RISC guide set advanced and designed to be a loose and overtly adoptable same old. It is also a brand new bankruptcy on area particular architectures and an up to date bankruptcy on warehouse scale computing that includes the primary public knowledge on Google’s latest WSC.
True to its authentic undertaking of demystifying pc Structure, this variation keeps the longstanding custom of that specialize in spaces the place probably the most fun computing innovation is going on, at the same time as all the time maintaining an emphasis on excellent engineering layout.
- Winner of a 2019 Textbook Excellence Award (Texty) from the Textbook and Educational Authors Association
- Includes a brand new bankruptcy on area particular architectures, explaining how they’re the one trail ahead for advanced efficiency and effort potency given the top of Moore’s Regulation and Dennard scaling
- Features the primary e-newsletter of a number of DSAs from business
- Features intensive updates to the bankruptcy on warehouse scale computing, with the primary public knowledge on the most recent Google WSC
- Offers updates to different chapters together with new subject matter coping with the usage of stacked DRAM; knowledge at the efficiency of latest NVIDIA Pascal GPU vs. new AVX 512 Intel Skylake CPU; and intensive additions to content material overlaying multicore Structure and organization
- Includes “Placing It All In combination” sections close to the top of each and every bankruptcy, offering actual global generation examples that display the foundations coated in each and every bankruptcy
- Includes assessment appendices within the published textual content and extra reference appendices to be had on-line
- Includes up to date and advanced case research and exercises
- ACM named John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson, recipients of the 2017 ACM A.M. Turing Award for pioneering a scientific, quantitative method to the layout and analysis of pc architectures with enduring affect at the microprocessor industry